Ingredients for Pork Sausage
- 1 lb. of your favorite pork sausage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients Pork Tomato Sausage
- 1 (28oz) can Cento San Marzano Certified Peeled Tomatoes
- ¼ lb. pancetta diced
- 1 Large Yellow onion small diced
- 3 cloves crushed Garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 1oz tomato paste
- 3oz Chianti
- 2oz E.V.O.O.
- 1 large bunch basil fresh (hand torn stems removed)
- 1 bunch parsley (hand torn stems removed)
- 1 tbs. salt
Ingredients for Pasta Dough
- 3 cup Farina 00 Caputa flour
- 3 whole egg
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tsp. Salt
Directions for Pasta Dough
1. Start by preparing basic pasta dough. Mix all ingredients in a food processer, or by hand in a bowl, until smooth. Add flour as needed and be sure to work the dough so that no dry spots visible and the dough is not sticky.
2. Cover with the dough with plastic wrap and let rest for one hour at room temperature.
Directions for Pasta Sauce
1. While the dough sits, begin working on the pasta sauce. Using a skillet on medium heat add olive oil and Pancetta and begin to render slowly until crispy.
2. Add onions, garlic, salt, and bay leaves. Sautee until tender on low heat until the onions have become translucent. Watch carefully to ensure onions do not caramelize.
3. Add tomato paste and cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Taking the pan off the heat, add wine and deglaze mixture.
5. Return pan to low heat and let the mix simmer until wine reduces by a quarter.
6. Add tomatoes and cook slowly on low heat for 1 hour. To finish, remove bay leaves add basil and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
Directions for Ravioli
1. While the sauce cooks, gently mix together pork sausage, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Lightly dust surface with flour. Cut dough in half and roll out until 1/8 inch thick.
3. Crack one egg in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
4. Brush the egg mixture on top of the pasta sheet. This will act as a glue to bind the top and bottom.
5. Add teaspoon of sausage to the flattened dough. The distance between filling will depend on the size of your ravioli stamp or cookie cutter. Line up the filling on one half of dough.
6. Use the other half over the filling and press down to get rid of air pockets.
7. Using your stamp, cut out close to filling so that the raviolis do not have too much dough on the sides.
8. Continue to gently press out air pockets around each mound of filling and form a seal. Check to make sure the edges are well sealed.
9. Form leftover dough into a ball and continue steps 10 – 16 until all raviolis are complete
Directions to Finish
18. Bring large pot of salted water to boil and add ravioli. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until ravioli float to the top and are tender. Drain.
19. Add sauce to dish as desired and serve piping hot with freshly shaved parmesan.
Get more information about this episode >>