- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cleaned fillets of trout
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 12 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
1. With a fork, beat the egg whites until combined. Place the pistachios and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse to fully combine but not pulverize. Fold in the parsley.
2. Season trout on both sides with salt and pepper. Using a pastry brush, brush flesh side of the fish with the egg whites, then press fish into nut mixture. Repeat.
3. Place the shallots and thyme in a sauce pot with a drizzle of olive oil and cook on medium high heat for 6-8 minutes until translucent. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half. While reducing, put a large saute pan on high heat and add the tomatoes to it. Let char in the pan for 1 minute, then drizzle in a touch of olive oil and remove from the heat. Toss in the pan for 30 seconds, then remove from pan and place aside on a plate. Wipe pan clean and add another good drizzle of olive oil.
4. Place fish nut-side down and cook for 3 minutes. Flip fish and turn off heat. Remove from pan after 1 minute.
5. Add the vinegar to the shallots and reduce on high heat until slightly thickened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and continue to reduce on medium until reduced by ¾.
6. Turn heat to low and whisk in the butter 2 tablespoons at a time. Serve fish with butter sauce and cherry tomatoes.