Ingredients for Cookies (Makes 2 dozen)
- 2 recipes SB Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (1-pound) box powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
Ingredients for Southern Baked Pie Dough (1 single crust 9-inch pie)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
Directions for Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out dough into 2 (12-inch) circles. Cut out desired shapes with Easter cookie cutters.
3. Place cookies on baking sheet. Prick each cookie with the tines of a fork, and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Using a stand mixer, beat egg whites with whisk attachment until frothy. Reduce speed and gradually add in the sugar. Once well-combined, turn mixer up to high and beat until stiff peaks form. Add food coloring to icing if desired.
Place icing in piping bags and decorate cookies, allowing 1 hour for icing to set up.
Directions for Pie Dough
1. Cut the butter into small cubes. Combine butter and flour in a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, work the butter into the flour. Add the salt and sugar. Continue to work the butter into the flour until the mixture has a consistency of course-ground cornmeal. The cubes of butter should now be smaller than the size of a green pea.
2. Add the water, all at once. Continue to work the dough until the dough begins to come together. Form the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and press into the shape of a disk. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.
3. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out to desired size on a lightly floured surface.
Tip: The trick to making delicious pie dough is using cold ingredients. I even chill my flour, salt, and sugar. Starting with very cold butter and ice cold water will make a world of difference when it comes to the texture of the dough.
Get more information about this episode >>