Ingredients for the Shrimp
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄4 Spanish onion, roughly chopped (1⁄2 cup)
- Peeled zest from 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeno, trimmed and split
- 3 bay leaves
- 11⁄2 pounds extra-large (16/20) fresh Georgia shrimp, peeled and deveined
Ingredients for the Cumin-Coriander Broth
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Ingredients for Salsa
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, peeled, sliced, seeds removed, and cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 fennel bulb, cut into julienne
- 1⁄4 red onion, cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, and cut into 1⁄4-inch dice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heirloom cherry tomatoes, sliced in half and tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and pinch of sea salt (11⁄2 tomatoes per person); thinly sliced radishes; snipped fennel fronds or micro greens; and sea salt, for garnish
Make the shrimp
In a large pot, combine all of the ingredients, except the shrimp, and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the shrimp and continue to boil for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the shrimp are translucent. Remove the shrimp and plunge into an ice water bath. With
a strainer or slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the ice bath and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the broth
Combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified. Transfer the broth to a small container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the salsa
In a small bowl, toss together the vegetables and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate
until you’re ready to assemble the ceviche.
Add the salsa ingredients to the cumin–coriander broth and stir to combine. If plating individual servings, evenly portion the shrimp among shallow serving bowls, then spoon a little salsa over the top. If serving on a platter, arrange the shrimp, then spoon a little salsa evenly over them. For either plating option, drizzle broth over the top of the shrimp and salsa, then garnish with cherry tomatoes, radishes, and fennel fronds or micro greens. Sprinkle with a little sea salt to finish.
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page