- 350 grams Sugar
- 150 grams Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- Food Coloring
1. Add sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar to saucepan, stir to combine. Set saucepan over high heat and cook until syrup reaches 290*.
2. Add peppermint extract, stir to combine, then pour half of the syrup onto a silicone mat.
3. Stir the food coloring into the remaining syrup and then pour that onto a separate silicone mat.
4. Allow the syrups to cool for a few minutes (this all depends on the material of your counter, the ambient temp., humidity, etc.) until it can be slowly gathered into a ball. Wear protective latex gloves.
5. Gather the sugars into separate balls, then put the one with food coloring in an oven at 300* to keep it warm while you pull the clear batch.
6. Stretch the sugar ball and fold it onto itself, repeating the motion until the sugar is white. If it becomes too difficult to pull, place it on a silicone mat in the oven for a few minutes to warm up.
7. Fold white sugar into a block and place it in the oven to keep warm while you work with the colored sugar.
8. Repeat the process of pulling and folding with the colored batch until it reaches desired level of shine and opacity. Cut a piece off and set aside to roll with the white. Place remainder of sugar in the oven to keep warm.
9. Remove white sugar from oven and cut a piece to roll with the colored, then replace the remainder into the oven to keep warm.
10. Roll the two pieces together into a thin log, cut to appropriate lengths, and then twist gently. Curve the hook of the cane and set aside to cool. Repeat with remaining sugar.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page