- 1 lb dry penne pasta
- 1/2 lb uncooked smoked bacon
- 4 tbs. table salt
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1, 28 oz. + 1, 15 oz can roma tomato sauce
- ¼ lb unsalted butter
- ¾ tsp crushed red chili
- Basil & Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese
- Bring to boil water and salt in pot.
- Add penne pasta and cook approximately 8 minutes stirring occasionally
- Cook until preferred tenderness
- Remove from heat and strain
Directions for Amatricana Sauce:
- Cook bacon in sauté pan over medium heat (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add onions, cook for few minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, cook for few more minutes and then add in the butter until melted
- When sauce is ready add cooked pasta
- Add chili peppers to taste
- Garnish with basil and parsley
- Top with Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
** Historically pork cheeks were used instead of bacon. Some Italians still follow that recipe.
** Historically only Pecorino cheese was used but due to the strong flavor, Parmesan is preferred by someThe name Amatriciana comes from Amatrice, a town of Lazio region where Rome is located
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.