Ingredients for Chocolate Wafer Crust
- 1 (9-ounce) package Famous Chocolate Wafers (255 g), about 40 cookies, crushed to a fine powder (about 2 cups)
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Ingredients for Filling
- 1 ¾ cups (450 g) creamy peanut butter
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (113 g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/3 cup (32 g) chopped salted peanuts
- 1/3 cup (45 g) mini chocolate chips
Instructions for the Crust
1. Heat the oven to 350F; if you have one, place a baking stone, Baking Steel, or inverted baking sheet on the center rack to heat. Combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter until cohesive and thoroughly buttered. Press the crust into the bottom of the slab pie pan. I use a metal cup measure or the flat bottom of a glass for this task. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Bake the crust (on top of the steel, stone, or baking sheet if using) for 15 minutes, until it feels dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool. Sprinkle with the salt. Bake the crust (on top of the steel, stone, or baking sheet if using) for 15 minutes, until it feels dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.
Instructions for the Filling
1. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the peanut butter, butter, and cream cheese until smooth and lightened. Beat in the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and cayenne (if using). Continue to lighten the mixture by beating at a high speed for 2 or 3 minutes longer, to make the pie light and fluffy. Scrape the filling into the cooled crust and smooth the top.
2. Stir the peanuts and chocolate chips together and sprinkle them decoratively along the edges of the pie. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before portioning.