Judy’s Healthier Pasta Bolognese
Ingredients:• 1 14-ounce can red kidney beans, or other beans, rinsed, • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil • 1 small onion, chopped • ½ cup chopped carrot • ¼ cup chopped celery • ½ teaspoon salt • 4 cloves garlic, chopped • 1 bay leaf • ½ cup white wine • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided • 8 ounces whole wheat fettuccine • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Mash ½ cup beans in a small bowl with a fork.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and bay leaf; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add wine; increase heat to high and boil until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, 2 tablespoons parsley and the mashed beans.
- Bring to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the remaining whole beans; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain and divide the pasta among 4 bowls.
- Discard the bay leaf and top the pasta with the sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan and the remaining parsley.
Joy’s Classic Bolognese SauceIngredients: • ¼ Pound Pancetta, Diced • 1 Medium Onion, Diced • 1 Medium Carrot, Diced • 1 Medium Rib Celery, Diced • 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced • 2 Tbls Olive Oil • ½ Pound Ground Sirloin • ½ Pound Ground Veal • ½ Pound Ground Pork • ½-1 Tsp Salt • ¼ Tsp Black Pepper • 1 32oz Can Crushed Tomatoes • ½ Glass Dry Red Wine • ½ Cup Milk or Cream • Grated Cheese For Sprinkling
- Heat Olive Oil in a large sauce pot.
- Cook the pancetta and minced vegetables on low heat, uncovered, for 30min.
- Add the ground meats, salt, pepper and brown.
- Add the can of tomatoes and wine.
- Simmer uncovered for 45min.
- Add milk or cream, a little at a time and stir.
- Serve over Pasta.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Pasta Bolognese with the Twice Baked Twins
Check out Judy Vig and Joy Paoletti, The Twice Baked Twins, at