Ingredients for Pan-Seared Salmon
- 1 ⅓ lb. salmon (wild if available, if your choice is previously frozen opt for Atlantic cause it’s nice and fatty)
- 2-4 tablespoons safflower oil (or other high heat oil)
- A big pinch of salt
- A big pinch of pepper
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges for serving)
Ingredients for Herbed Brown Rice
- A million herbs equaling approximately one cup (preferably parsley, basil, dill, chives + mint, but you can truly use whatever you’ve got)
- 1 ½ cup short grain brown rice
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Take fish out of fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
2. Take your largest non-stick sauté pan and heat enough olive oil to cover bottom over a medium high heat.
3. While pan is heating up cut the salmon into 4 equal sized pieces and pat down with paper towels.
4. Generously salt and pepper on both sides and place skin side down in the pan.
5. Once you can visibly see the browning of the bottom of the fish (about 4 minutes) flip it over.
6. Cook for another 2-4 minutes depending on how well done you like your fish.
7. Carefully remove salmon from the pan and squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the top.
Herbed Brown Rice:
1. In a medium-sized saucepan heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium heat.
2. Once the oil is hot add the onion and sweat until it’s fragrant and translucent.
3. Add a generous pinch of salt and then toss the onions into your blender.
4. Add the garlic, herbs, a little more salt, and the rest of the oil into said blender and blend.
5. Pour mixture back into the pan and simmer for a minute while you prepare rice.
6. Rinse the rice and add it to the simmering onion mixture and while you're at it add another healthy pinch of salt.
7. Add the appropriate amount of water per the instructions on your bag of rice.
8. Cook based on time per directions on said bag.
9. Remove from heat and let it sit for 10 minutes before taking off the lid.
10. Fluff with a fork, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.