Serves 6 to 8
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add turkey meat and brown, breaking up with a wooden spoon. When just cooked through remove from pan using a slotted spoon and set aside. If pot looks dry, add more oil.
2. Add onion, jalapeno, and garlic and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about 6 minutes.
3. Add spices, salt, and pepper and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and their liquid and cook for another minute or two.
5. Add the turkey meat back to the pot, along with the beans, sweet potato, and water. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender and everything is nice and thick, about 1 hour.
6. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve with desired toppings such as tortilla chips, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.