- 1 large butternut squash, cut into small cubes, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 pound orecchiette
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 bunch kale
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss all but 1 cup of the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of crushed red pepper, and the nutmeg. Roast until butternut squash pieces are tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook sliced red onions until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat a pot of water over high heat until boiling. Salt water generously. Cook orecchiette according to package instructions until al dente.
4. Meanwhile, heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Cook the remaining cup of butternut squash for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and cook until broth is almost completely absorbed.
5. Remove the middle stems from the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Add kale to butternut squash and stir until kale has softened. Add caramelized red onions.
6. Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining chicken broth and reduce, about 10 minutes.
7. When the pasta is al dente, add it to the pan with the sauce. Add the roasted butternut squash.
8. Loosen sauce with pasta water if needed. Sprinkle with sage, and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page