Lifestyle expert Chadwick Boyd is making a delicious treat with real oranges.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 blood orange and 1 Valencia orange, sliced 1/8-inch thick
Orange Cornmeal Cake - Home & Family
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For batter: In a medium bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt.
- In a large bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter with a mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar. Beat 1 minute or until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each until combined. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beating on low between each addition until just combined. Stir in the orange zest and the 2 tsp. vanilla; set aside.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the 1/2 cup butter. Stir the butter around until melted and the bottom of skillet is coated.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, 11/2 tsp. vanilla, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Bring to boiling; boil 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened and caramelized. Stir in the thyme leaves. Remove from heat. Lay the orange slices in one even layer in the bottom of the skillet. Spoon batter over oranges; spread evenly.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden and knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in skillet 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate; transfer any fruit stuck in skillet to cake. Cool 20 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Get more information about this episode >>