- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onions
- 1/3 cup diced fresh fennel bulb
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, warmed in water for 1/2 hour
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon c&h golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 28 ounce can italian peeled tomatoes, strained and chopped with juices saved
- 4 slices of swordfish, 5-6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Nick’s magic rub
- 1 cup italian style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
INGREDIENTS FOR MAGIC RUB:
- 1 tablespoon C&H Golden Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
1. Place the oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a sauté pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes until the garlic starts to brown.
2. Add the onion, stir well, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the fennel, raisins, pine nuts, basil, and mint. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add sugar and vinegar, stir well, and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the salt and cook 2 more minutes, stirring well.
7. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring well.
8. Bring to boil while stirring in the reserved juices. Then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. While the sauce is simmering prepare the swordfish.
10. Brush the both sides of the swordfish slices with olive oil and nick’s magic rub before coating with the breadcrumbs.
11. Add the extra light olive oil to a nonstick pan and cook to a sizzle over medium-high heat. Add the swordfish slices and cook for 2 minutes per side.
12. Remove from the pan and add to the sauce. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
13. Serve by placing a slice of swordfish resting on the sauce.
14. Chef’s tip: For a traditional look, drizzle a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil around the fish before serving.
DIRECTIONS FOR MAGIC RUB:
1. Use this spice rub to flavor your favorite grilled chicken, beef, fish, and pork dishes.
2. Add the ingredients to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Store in an airtight container for later use. The rub will stay fresh for about one week.