Ingredients for Cobbler
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot brewed coffee
Ingredients for Orange Zested Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon orange flower water
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Serves 8 to 10
Hands-on 10 minutes Total 1 hour, 10 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, 3⁄4 cup of the granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons cocoa in a medium bowl. Stir together milk, oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter as evenly as possible into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
2. Stir together brown sugar, remaining 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 1⁄4 cup cocoa in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over batter in pan. Using a spoon, VERY gently drizzle (or pour carefully and slowly) hot coffee over brown sugar mixture, being careful not to disturb layers. (Do not stir.)
3. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake layer forms on top and springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool 25 minutes.
4. While the cobbler is cooling, stir together the sugar, orange zest, flower water and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add cream and vanilla and mix on medium low for about 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium-high and whip until the cream has thickened and holds a firm peak, about 3 minutes. The cream may be made up to 8 hours ahead and stored in the refrigerator.