- 1 1/2 cups whole-grain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups plain full-fat soy milk or rice and soy milk blend*
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries or frozen, unthawed, plus 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
1. In medium bowl, stir together spelt flour, oat bran, wheat bran, baking soda, and salt. Add soy milk and stir until thoroughly combined.
2. Brush large nonstick or cast-iron griddle or skillet with oil and heat over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 3 to 4 batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and press 12 to 15 blueberries into each pancake. Cook until bubbles appear and pop on surface and undersides are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip pancakes, then turn off heat and let pancakes continue to cook in pan until undersides are firm and light golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to plate, berry side up, and keep warm.
3. Repeat to cook remaining pancakes, oiling and reheating griddle between each batch. Serve pancakes warm with additional berries and maple syrup.
Moby prefers EdenBlend, an organic rice and soy milk blend, because it has a neutral, not too sweet flavor. It's available in natural food stores and from edenfoods.com.