Pork’s flavor gives life to this Mexican dinner dish.
- 2 pounds pork shoulder (cut into 2” pieces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (plus 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce)
- 25 ounces hominy (canned, drained)
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 large onion (diced)
- cilantro (chopped, for garnish, optional)
- sliced radish (for garnish, optional)
- avocado (for garnish, optional)
- corn tortillas (for garnish, optional)
- scallion (chopped, for garnish, optional)
- lime wedges (to squeeze, for garnish, optional)
MEXICAN POZOLE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Cut the pork into chunks while pre-heating a dutch oven or heavy stockpot.
- Add oil to the pot and sear the meat in batches as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Removed browned pork, reduce heat to medium, and sweat onions for 10 minutes. Add garlic and oregano and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- In a food processor put chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and ½ cup of broth and puree until smooth.
- Add meat, chipotle puree, and broth to the pot and bring to simmer. Cover and let cook for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hominy and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and ladle into bowls with garnish.