- Brine from one 15-ounce can of unsalted or low sodium chickpeas (I used Trader Joe's organic), chilled
- 1 cup vegan fine white sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1) Preheat the oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix together
the sugar, arrowroot powder and salt. Set aside.
2) Pour the chickpea brine into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat at low speed, then slowly increase the speed to high. Beat for 5 minutes, until soft peaks have formed and the mixture has become very light and fluffy (it should expand to more than quadruple in size). Turn the speed down to medium-high and start adding the sugar one heaping tablespoon at a time.
3) Once all of the sugar has been added, increase the speed back to the highest setting. Continue to whip until stiff, glossy peaks form and hold their shape (about 3 minutes). You should be able to hold the mixing bowl upside down and have the meringue stay in place. Stop the mixer and pour in the vanilla and vinegar. Beat for another 10-15 seconds until
4) Use a spatula or metal spoon to form little mounds on the baking sheet. You could also use a piping bag. You'll want to do this immediately after whipping the meringue so it doesn't deflate
5) Put the meringue in the oven to bake and immediately turn down the heat to 250°F.
6) Bake for 2-2.5 hours, or until the outside is dry to the touch and ever so slightly browned.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page