- 1.25 ground pork
- 1.25 ground beef
- ¾ cup soffritto
- 1.5 t fennel seeds, ground
- ½ t red pepper flakes
- 1.5 t porcini mushroom powder
- ½ c mushrooms, sauteed for 5 mins
- 2 c bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1.5t salt
"My grandmother immigrated here from France during the Great Depression. Because her family was so poor they did not have much money to buy food. Originally it was called Depression Pie, but after the depression ended her family continue to make it because it was so good." - Matt
- Mix all ingredients in a kitchen mixer or by hand.
- Using a 2½ oz ice cream scoop, scoop meat mixture into balls to form meatballs.
- Bake on sheet pan lined with parchment paper for 15 minutes at 375°F.