Ingredients for Waffles
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) melted butter
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (a little more or less is okay)
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Hollandaise Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 1/2 teaspoons water
- 10 tablespoons butter (5 ounces) preferably unsalted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or to taste)
- Salt to taste (1/4 teaspoon if you used unsalted butter)
- Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
Ingredients for Serving
- 4 slices thick-cut ham or Canadian bacon
- 4 eggs, fried over-easy or poached
- chives, green onions, fresh herbs, bacon bits to garnish
1) Make the waffles: Whisk the melted butter, potatoes, cheese, milk and sour cream together until combined.
2) Add flour, baking powder, and spices and mix quickly. Batter will be quite thick, like cake batter. Add a little more milk or flour to adjust the consistency if you need to. Set aside while you begin the sauce
3) Make the sauce: Get a bowl with a round bottom and then find a pot it will fit inside, leaving enough room underneath for about an inch to an inch and a half of water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
4) Melt the butter in a glass measuring cup and set aside.
5) Whisk the egg yolks and 4 1/2 teaspoons of water together in the bowl, place the bowl over the pot of water, and place the pot over medium-low heat.
6) Whisk the yolks over the heat for about 5 minutes, until the yolks thicken and the whisk begins to leave trails through the yolk.
7) Slowly begin whisking in the melted butter in a steady stream, whisking constantly. When half the butter is added, reduce heat to low and add the rest, making sure to leave the white butter solids behind in the bottom of the cup.
8) Cook, whisking, another 30-60 seconds until the sauce has thickened.
9) Turn off the heat and add lemon juice, salt, and hot sauce to taste.
10) Spoon about 1/2 cup batter onto a hot waffle iron and spread the batter out a little. Close and cook until the iron opens easily.
11) Fry the ham in a small skillet until warmed and crisp. Turn off heat; set aside
12) Cook the eggs according to your preference
13) To assemble: One waffle on a plate; top with ham; top with egg; add a ladle of sauce; sprinkle with chives, green onions, herbs, or bacon bits
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page