Daphne’s Chicken Ingredients:
• Half cup chicken broth
• Half onion chopped • ¼ cup maple syrup • ¼ cup soy sauce • Sliced garlic under the skin • Salt, pepper
- Boil orzo.
- Mix chicken broth, onion, maple syrup, and soy sauce together.
- Place sliced garlic under skin.
- Marinate chicken for a few hours.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the liquid and finish baking another 10 minutes without the broth.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Strain the juice.
- Drain the orzo and mix in the liquid from the chicken to add flavor.
Mark’s Braised Stuffed Chicken Thighs with Orzo Ingredients:
• 4 ea chicken thighs, 8 oz ea. Boneless
• 7 oz chicken sausage • ¼ cup of diced white onion • 2 cloves of garlic, minced • 2 oz white mushroom, washed, chopped and sauteed • ¼ cup of orzo cooked al dente • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper • ½ tsp dried oregano • ½ tsp dried basil • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Mix thoroughly the chicken sausage with the onion, garlic, mushroom, orzo and spices. Set the mixture in the freezer for fifteen minutes.
- Divide the sausage into four equal parts and pat each part to eliminate air bubbles. Form each into a log and place into the middle of the meat side of each boned out chicken thigh.
- Roll and tie each thigh.
- Season the thighs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Over medium high heat in a heavy cast iron skillet with a little vegetable oil brown the chicken thighs then set aside.
Braising the Thighs
• 1 cup diced white onion
• ⅓ cup diced carrot • 4 ea medium white mushroom washed and sliced • 2 cloves of garlic • ⅓ cup of orzo • Pinch crushed red pepper • ½ tsp dried oregano • ½ tsp dried basil • 1 ½ cup of chicken broth • Salt and pepper
- Dump out the excess oil then put in the onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic and reduce the heat to medium.
- When the vegetables have lightly browned add the herbs and spices and season lightly with salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and, when it has come to a simmer, add the orzo and the chicken thighs. Do not crowd them.
- Turn oven to 400 degrees and place the pan in the oven. Let it braise for 25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove the strings and serve in the same pan.