- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh cherries
1. 1 small (or piece of) cinnamon stick.
2. 4 whole allspice.
3. 1/4 tsp. almond extract.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water and sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring gently.
5. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
6. Add lemon juice and vanilla and stir again.
7. Wash cherries, leaving on the stems.
8. Pit the cherries.
9. Add the cinnamon, allspice and almond extract to each jar.
10. Fill your jar with the pitted cherries, leaving a 3/4 inch headspace.
11. Pack the cherries in tightly without smashing.
12. Pour in the flavored syrup, leaving a 1/2 inch headspace.
13. Use a wooden skewer around the edges of the jar to dislodge any bubbles.
14. Wipe the rim and place on the jar lid.
15. At this point, you can store the cherries in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks or water bath process them for longer storage. (See below) Just note that the water bath does change their texture a bit. They will darken and get softer.
16. Either way, the flavor will take at least 3 days to soak into the cherries and then they are ready to eat.
For More Details Please visit: