- ¾ cup warm milk (~110˚F)
- ¾ cup warm water (~110˚F)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons maple Sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon kosher Salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
DIRECTIONS FOR DOUGH:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together milk, warm water, yeast, and maple sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. To the yeast mixture, add the butter, salt, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix on low-speed until the ingredients begin to come together.
3. Still on low-speed, add 1 cup of the remaining flour and mix for 1 minute more.
4. Add the remaining 1 cup flour. Mix on low-speed until the final addition of flour is fully incorporated into the dough. Increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. (It should make a slapping sound against the sides of the bowl.)
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover it with a dish towel. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 minutes.
6. While dough rises, prepare the filling and egg wash. In one small bowl, combine ½ cup of maple sugar with the cardamom. In another small bowl, melt butter. In a third small bowl, whisk the egg.
7. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
DIRECTIONS FOR SHAPE:
1. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Divide dough into three even pieces.
2. Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll out into a 12-inch circle (no need to be super precise - it's okay if it looks messy!). Transfer dough circle to prepared sheet pan. Brush with melted butter. Top with half of the cardamom-maple sugar mixture.
3. Roll out a second circle the same size as the first. Place it on top of the filling-covered circle. Repeat the process by adding butter and then the remaining half of the cardamom-maple sugar. Top with the final dough circle.
4. Place a 3-inch small bowl or round biscuit cutter in the center of the dough.
5. Use a knife to cut 16 strips from the center bowl to the outside of the dough, slicing through all of the layers.
6. Using both hands, take two adjacent strips and twist them outwards, revealing the layers inside. Pinch the ends of the strips together and tuck them under slightly. Repeat with all remaining dough strips to form 8 spokes on the star.
7. Remove the bowl from the center of the dough. Allow dough to rise for 20 minutes.
8. Heat oven to 400˚F.
9. Just before baking, brush bread with whisked egg.
10. Bake until light golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes.
DIRECTIONS FOR GLAZE (OPTIONAL):
1. Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 1 Tbsp maple syrup. Add more syrup a bit at a time until glaze is smooth and pours easily. Drizzle over bread.
2. Serve immediately.