Ingredients for Turkey Breast
- 5 pound turkey breast with skin on and boneless
- ½ pound of unsalted butter- softened
- 2 shallots – fine dice
- 6 stems of fresh Sage- Leaves only
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 cup of maple syrup
Ingredients for Yams
- 3 pounds of yams, peeled and diced ½ inch
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
Ingredients for Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
Ingredients for Relish
- 1 cup of bosc pears peeled and small dice
- 1 cup of red delicious apples peeled and small dice
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries crushed and can be placed in a food processor and pulse for a few times
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of orange juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
Directions for Turkey
1. Sauté in olive oil the shallots till translucent and add sage leaves for 1 minute to pop the aroma. Add to the softened butter. Add the salt and pepper and mix with a spatula.
2. Lay the Turkey breast skin down on a cutting board and spread the butter mixture on both sides of the breast and then close the breast over with the skin. Please the breast in a roasting pan. Add the maple syrup to the left over butter mixture and pour on top of the breast. Roast in the oven at 350 for 1 ½ hours or till internal temp of 150 degrees. Then remove and baste the turkey with the pan juices. Raise the oven temp to 500 degrees place turkey back in the oven to brown the skin for 5 minutes. Then remove and cool down before slicing.
3. While the turkey is in the oven prepare the Yams and relish
Directions for Meringue
1. Whip the 4 egg whites with the powdered sugar and cream of tartar till hard peaks and then transfer to a pastry bag with a star tip.
Note: The Meringue can be made early and left in a pastry bag in the cooler.
Directions for Yams
1. Place the diced yams in a saucepan with the water and brown sugar and cook for about 7 minutes till they are half cooked. Then strain and add 2 tbsp. of grain mustard and ½ of the drained liquid. Toss and place in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. Once done they can be topped with the Meringue and use a torch to toast .
Directions for Relish
1. Place all ingredients except the apples and pears in a bowl and mix together.
2. Check seasoning and taste. Then add diced apples and pears and mix together.