Debbie Matenopoulos is preparing the perfect dish to enjoy while staying in and watching Hallmark Channel movies.
Spring Pot Pie
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ Yellow onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Small carrot, diced
- ½ Cup Baby zucchini diced
- Cup Baby broccoli florets
- ½ Cup Snap peas, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 ½ Cups Chicken broth
- ⅛ Cup White chocolate
- ½ Cup Whole milk
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dill, roughly chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First, preheat the oven according to the directions on the packaging on your puff pastry. Carefully unfold the sheet and roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Using your serving bowl as a guide, carefully cut rounds out of the pastry about ¼ inch larger than the mouth of the bowl. Place the rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Take out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the pastry is cooling, prepare the pot pie filling. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the baby broccoli, zucchini, and snap peas and cook until the broccoli is bright green and tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add milk and 1¼ cups of the chicken broth, reserving ¼ cup of broth. Bring vegetable mixture to a simmer over medium high heat, about 4 minutes. Add the white chocolate and stir until melted. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the chicken and thyme and continue to simmer.
- Make a slurry with the remaining ¼ cup of chicken broth and cornstarch. Add the slurry to the pan and stir to incorporate, mixture will begin to thicken. After about 5 minutes, turn the heat off and add the lemon juice, lemon zest, chives, and dill. Stir to combine. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle generous portions of the chicken mixture into two serving bowls. Top more chives and the puff pastry lids. Serve hot.