Chef Katie Chin shares a light Thai recipe with Home & Family!
Ingredients for the Chicken and Marinade:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 Tablespoon palm or brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced lemongrass
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons dark sesame oil
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 2 teaspoons minced galangal or fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons palm or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla) 1⁄2 teaspoon asian chili-garlic sauce, preferably sambal oelek
- 4 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 6 yard-long beans or 12 green beans cut into 2 in (5 cm) pieces
- 1 cup (71 g) shredded coconut
- 2 cups (152 g) red cabbage sliced into thin shreds/threads
- 4 Tablespoons crushed roasted peanuts
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 4 Tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- Marinade: in a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, fish sauce palm sugar, lemongrass, garlic, and sesame oil. Place the chicken in a large, resealable plastic food bag and marinate for 1 hour (up to overnight) in the refrigerator.
- Preheat broiler. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Broil for 7 minutes per side. transfer to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into thin slices.
- Dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together the galangal, palm sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, and chili-garlic sauce. Gradually whisk together the ingredients for the Dressing.
- Salad: Cook the beans in boiling water until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to an ice bath until cool. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the reserved beans, coconut, cabbage, peanuts, fresh coriander leaves, mint, basil, onion, and kaffir lime leaves, if using, in a large bowl. Divide the Salad evenly on 4 plates. Divide the chicken pieces evenly among the salads. Drizzle the remaining Dressing on top of the chicken. Serve immediately.
SERVES 4 AS part OF multi-course meal OR FOR lunch
Preparation time: 20 minutes + marinating time
Lemongrass Chicken Salad - Home & Family
Cooking time: 14 minutes
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.