- Peel and slice the apples first. Use an apple corer then slice each slice in half again. Don't add spices yet.
- I use three varieties in my pie. Granny Smith, Braeburn, & Pink Lady. The tarter the better as these will hold up in the cooking process better than the sweeter, softer apples.
- Use a pastry fork when mixing the crust dough. It's a littler harder on the forearms, but easier in the gentle fluffing when combining the liquid into the flour mixture.
PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅔ Cup butter, divided in half
- 5-7 Tbsp. ice water
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 12-14 tart apples (use a few varieties), peeled and chopped (always include Granny Smith)
- ½ - ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
FOR THE CRUST:
- Set aside small bowl of water with 2-3 ice cubes in it. They'll slowly melt.
- Measure and level off flour in dry cups. Sift flour with salt into medium bowl.
- Add ⅓ cup butter into mixture. With a pastry fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like corn meal.
- Add remaining ⅓ cup and combine until the clumps hold together the size of peas.
- Add ice water 1 tbsp. at a time. Gently toss with a fork until damp. Push to the side. Drizzle 1 more tablespoon of ice water over flour mixture. Mix lightly, push to the side. Continue until pastry holds together and no longer.
- Divide dough in half and gently form into balls. Do not handle for longer than necessary.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten first ball slightly. Using quick, light strokes, roll from center out to ⅛" thick disc.
- Transfer dough by folding half the dough over your rolling pin, center it now over your pie plate and gently fit the dough loosely into the plate. Let the excess hang over the sides.
- Fill pie. Mound the filling into the center of the pie plate and then push out to the perimeters.
- Roll out second ball. Gently lay on top of filling. Tuck upper crust over and under the edge of the lower crust, crimping the edges together as you move along the pie plate. This seals in juices as they bake.
- Vent the top crust in any fashion you choose: sliced cuts, cut-outs, pie birds.
- If desired, brush top crust with water, and sprinkle with sugar.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Mix 12-14 tart, peeled, and chopped apples with ½ cup sugar, ¼ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. nutmeg, and 1 Tbsp. flour in a bowl.
- Dish into pie pan after pie crust has been placed.
- Dot 1 Tbsp. butter on apples.
- Put top crust on.
- Bake at 450° F for 40 minutes.
Tune in to see Kirsten Nelson on " Psych," Wednesdays 10/9c on USA Network.
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.