- 4 cups coconut milk, separating the top 3 tbsp of cream
- 2 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tbsp masamun curry paste
- 2 kafir lime leaves, cut into a fine chiffonade
- ½ cup rich beef stock
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 lb braised short ribs (recipe follows)
- ½ lb fresh flat egg noodles, boiled until al dente
- ½ cup chinese pickled mustard greens, drained and sliced thin
- ½ cup shallots, peeled and cut in small dice
- 4 scallions, sliced on the bias
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
FOR THE BRAISED SHORT RIBS:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 4 lb beef short ribs
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- ½ lb onion, cut into large dice
- ¼ lb carrot, cut into large dice
- ¼ lb celery, cut into large dice
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
1. In a medium saucepan, heat 3 tablespoons of the thick coconut cream on high for about 1 minute.
2. When the cream starts to sizzle, stir in the curry pastes like building a rioux, and add the lime leaves.
3. Stir-fry the paste for about 1 minute, until the paste starts to thicken, dry out, and become fragrant.
4. If the curry starts to sputter, add a small amount of coconut milk to keep the paste moving.
5. Stir in the remaining coconut milk into the curry paste.
6. Increase the heat to high until you reach a full rolling boil.
7. Allow the curry to boil for about 5 to 10 minutes or until it reduces by about a quarter or coats the back of a wooden spoon.
8. Reduce the sauce to a simmer add the rich beef stock, fish sauce, tamarind and sugar.
9. Taste and adjust as necessary.
10. Add the short rib meat at the last possible moment before serving; it will only take about a minute for the meat to warm and absorb the luscious
11. Divide the noodles into 4 bowls. Ladle about 6 to 8 ounces of the rich broth over each noodle bowl, and make sure each bowl gets a few slices of beef.
12. Garnish with mustard greens, shallots, scallions and cilantro.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE BRAISED SHORT RIBS:
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Dredge the beef in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess; set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a 4- or 5-quart dutch oven over high heat. Brown the short ribs on all sides, about 10 minutes.
5. Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan.
6. Stir in the shallots, garlic, onion, carrot and celery.
7. Cook and stir until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes.
8. Add the wine and reduce it by half.
9. Stir in the thyme, bay leaf, parsley and beef broth.
10. Place the browned short ribs on top of the vegetables in a single layer, and then bring it to a boil.
11. Cover it with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil, then bake it in the preheated oven until the short ribs are very tender and nearly falling off the
bone, about 3 to 3 ½ hours.
12. Once the short ribs are tender, strip the meat off the bone with a fork and place in a serving dish. Cover and keep warm.