- 12 thick slices of white bread, cut into 1” cubes or 8 cups of cubed bread (Italian or Ciabatta is good for this)
- 1/2 lb crumbled, cooked bacon (I like to use thick bacon) 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 10oz package of frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry) 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 12 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups of milk or half & half
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard Salt and pepper
1) Brown bacon in sauté pan until crisp and crumbly. Remove to bowl and add chopped onion to the pan drippings in the same skillet and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
2) Add the spinach and garlic (if using) and sauté over low heat. Stir in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, nutmeg and crumbled bacon.
3) Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 3 quart baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bread and then add the spinach mixture. Repeat the layer.
4) Whisk the milk (or half & half), eggs, Dijon mustard, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill over night or at least two hours.
5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and bake strata in preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the eggs are set. It should bake from 45 minutes to an hour. Start checking after 45 minutes to make sure egg mixture is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page