Joy Bauer replaces the chips in these nachos with bell peppers, a hearty and delicious alternative that is good for your blood sugar.
Loaded Bell Pepper Nachos & Cherry Slushy
Snack, Lunch, Appetizer
- 6 large red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 1-pound ground turkey (90 to 93% lean)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- ¾ cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup canned or frozen sweet yellow corn, drained (thawed, if frozen)
- ¼ cup sliced jalapeños, optional
- ½ to 1 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Mild or spicy salsa
- Light sour cream or non-fat plain greek yogurt
- Hopped scallions
- 2 cups frozen pitted sweet cherries
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 1 cup LaCroix cerise limón sparkling water
- 1 cup crushed ice or ice cubes
Loaded Bell Pepper Nachos & Cherry Slushy - Home & Family
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat a large baking sheet (or 2 standard sheets) with nonstick oil spray and set aside
- Remove the stems and seeds from the bell pepper and cut each into quarters
- Lay the bell pepper “chips” on the prepared baking sheet(s) in a single layer with their insides facing up.
- In a large heated skillet, stir the ground turkey until it’s cooked through and crumbled. Add the taco seasoning along with about ⅔ cup water and stir. Add the black beans, corn, and jalapeños, if using. Mix until well combined and heated through.
- Spoon the turkey-bean mixture over the bell pepper pieces. Sprinkle on the cheese and bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and, if desired, top with the salsa, pipe on swirls of the yogurt or sour cream, and garnish with scallions.
- Place all ingredients in blender, and blend until thick and slushy. (note: if the cherries and pineapple are frozen solid, you may need to stop, loosen up the contents with a spoon and stir a few times while it blends.)
- Add additional LaCroix or ice as needed to achieve desired slushy consistency.