- 2 1/2 pounds yellow onions halved, and sliced 1/4-inch thick (8 cups)
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup brandy or cognac
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- French bread
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
1. Halve and slice the onions into 1/4 inch strips
2. In a pot, sauté onions, butter and bay leaf for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Use brandy to deglaze the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered.
4. Add in white wine. Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
5. Pour in chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Take out the bay leaf, sprinkle with cheese, serve with lightly toasted French bread.