What you need:
• (2) 7" Cherry pies ~ store bought or handmade (recipe below)
• (2) 9" cake pans • (2) boxes of white cake mix • (2) containers of fresh blueberries • Frosting (recipe below) Recipe:
- First thing first - you need to bake your cherry pies. Now you can either make them from scratch (recipe below) or buy frozen cherry pies (and let completely defrost) or buy freshly made store bought pies (at room temperature).
- Whatever pies you choose, they need to be cooked and at room temp. and they should be no more than 7 ½" wide so they fit in the 9" cake pan. This is important stuff!
- Alright, your pies are done and sitting on your counter at room temperature. Now make your first batch of white cake mix. Do not combine two mixes because the cake batter should not sit out. Spray and flour your first 9" cake pan and pour about ¾" of cake batter into the bottom of your pan.
- Place your first pie in the middle of the cake mix. Make sure you take the pie out of the tin.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over the pie. You are going to use almost all of your cake batter. ALMOST all of it. It should be about a ¼" - ½" away from the top of the pan.
- You do not want the cake to cook up and over the cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. It takes a while because the center of the cake takes literally forever to bake. Check your cake from 45 minutes on to make sure it's still baking and not getting too brown. It should be done between 50 minutes and 60 minutes. Make sure you use the middle rack so the top does not get too brown.
- Let completely cool before removing it from the pan. If you have not already baked your second pie-cake you should do so now. There's a pie in there! Cool huh?
- Once your cakes are totally cool you can frost your first layer. These cakes are super heavy so lay your cake on the platter you plan to serve with. Frost the cake with a thin crumb layer. You will frost again once the second cake is on. Make sure you have an extra thick layer on top of the cake as this will show in between your cakes when you slice.
- Add your second layer ... carefully. These babies are heavy.
- Now frost this layer too.
- Now frost everything together and start adding your clean blueberries all along the edge. Continue spiraling the blueberries towards the middle until the cake is Beautiful.
Cherry Pie Ingredients:
(Recipe is for 1 pie ~ double for the 2 layer cake above)
• 1 recipe pastry for a 7 inch double crust pie (Can find in the frozen aisle or handmake) • 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca • ⅛ teaspoon salt • 1 cup white sugar • 4 cups pitted cherries • ¼ teaspoon almond extract • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract • 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place bottom crust in pie pan. Set top crust aside, covered.
- Roll out half the crust and line a 7-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until needed. Roll out the top crust and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries, and extracts. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top.
- Place pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet--in case it drips.
- Par-bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool. *NOTE this is not fully cooked. You now need to prepare your cake batter. If you are using a completely cooked pie that is totally OK!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
• 9 cups confectioners' sugar • 3 cups butter • 3 teaspoon vanilla extract • 5 or 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Simple White Cake Ingredients:
Original recipe makes 12 cupcakes or 1- 9x9 inch pan
• 1 cup white sugar • ½ cup butter • 2 eggs • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour • 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder • ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
For more with Jessie Jane, visit lilyshop.com.