Jane Soudah, author of “Delightful Desserts,” shows how to turn Passion Fruit into the perfect pie for Summer.
Passion Fruit Pie
Makes 1 9-inch pie
It’s time for a new star in the world of pie, passion fruit.
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup passion fruit puree (usually available in the freezer section of grocery stores)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Lightly whipped cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt. Add the melted butter and stir until crumbs are evenly coated. Press the crumb mixture into bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks. Add the sweetened condensed milk, passion fruit puree and lime juice. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the baked crust and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the center is just set. Cool completely to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.