- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus ¼ cup (98 g) powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup (230 g) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (384 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ½ cup (120 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon oil or lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup (31 g) all-purpose flour
Yield: 16 bars
Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, salt, ½ cup (65 g) powdered sugar and the lemon zest. Add the cold butter and mix on medium speed until the mixture resembles sand. Press the crust mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the edges are light golden brown.
While the crust bakes, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice powder (if using), lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon oil until smooth. Add the baking powder and flour and mix well.
Pour the filling mixture over the baked and still-warm crust. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes until the filling is set and the edges are light golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes. Sift remaining ¼ cup (33 g) of powdered sugar over the top of the lemon bars. Cut into squares to serve.