A rich dessert for St. Patrick’s Day that is served in a canning jar!
Ingredients For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups strongly brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients Whiskey Butter Sauce:
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- prepared whipped cream (for jar cakes)
Directions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, add coffee, whiskey, butter, cinnamon and cocoa powder.
- Place over moderate heat and whisk until butter has melted.
- Remove from heat and add sugar. Whisk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla extract, and gradually pour into chocolate mixture.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined. Mixture will be very thin.
- Place canning jars on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and pour batter in each, about 1/2-cup full. Or, pour batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes (for both jars and Bundt pan).
Directions for the whiskey butter sauce:
- When the cake(s) are almost ready to come out of the oven, begin to make the sauce.
- Combine all ingredients (except whipped cream) in a small saucepan, and cook very gently over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
- When cake(s) are done, let cool for 10 minutes
- With a skewer, poke holes in jarred cakes. Pour a little sauce into each cake, dividing it evenly until it has all been used
- Top with prepared whipped cream.
Irish Whiskey Cake in a Jar - Home & Family
Click here to get your copy of Cristina Ferrare's cookbook, "Big Bowl of Love." Get additional recipes from Cristina at cristinaferrarecooks.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.