Recipe by Dan Kohler, 1/15/2020
Yield: 1 9-Inch Cake
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 250˚. Place marshmallows on sheet tray and cook in oven until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
2. Beat cream in stand mixer with sugar, salt, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
3. Add warm marshmallows to stand mixer and beat cream to heavy peaks.
1. Heat oven to 375˚. Cut a round of parchment, place in bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Grease with butter or oil, then coat with mixture of sugar and cocoa powder, shaking out any excess.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs and sugar until lightened in color, and slightly thickened.
4. Continue to whisk egg mixture while pouring in oil and vanilla.
5. Stir in half of the flour mixture until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.
6. Make whipped cream. Beat heavy cream with whisk or in stand mixer until doubled in volume. Stop when you’ve reached stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into batter
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Bake in oven until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
9. Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes, then remove the springform collar. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting with whipped cream topping.
10. Frost cooled cake with fresh whipped cream.