A recipe from Chef Wolfgang Puck that serves 24 cookies.
Holiday Sugar Cookies
Makes About 24 cookies
A recipe from Chef Wolfgang Puck that serves 24 easy holiday sugar cookies.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into half inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour, sifted
- Cookie cutter and extra flour as needed
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla. Cream on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat on low speed for 15 seconds, or until fully incorporated. Do not overbeat. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- On low speed, add the flour. Beat until all the flour is incorporated. Scrape down, mix for 15 seconds, or until you have an even dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment, roll it out 1/4 inch thick and freeze it at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- When the dough has chilled, carefully peel off the parchment and place the dough on a work surface dusted lightly with flour. Because it holds its shape in the oven, sugar cookies make a great cookie-cutter cookie. Dip the cookie-cutter in flour as needed. Once on the baking sheet, the cookies can be decorated with colored sugars or candy sprinkles or dusted with granulated sugar.
- Set pressure valve to seal and lower sealing lever.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time for 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. When time is up, carefully turn the pressure valve to vent and wait for steam to escape. Slowly raise the sealing lever and press the door release button. Remove from the oven and carefully slide the parchment onto a work surface. Wait at least 5 minutes before serving. Cut-out cookies can be iced after baking.