Dr. JJ shares a sweet treat with Home & Family. Ice cream maker required!
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Ice Cream Base:
- 2 ¼ cups half and half
- 2 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 7 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 1 vanilla bean – slit open, beans scraped out
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
Ingredients for the Roasted Pears:
- 2 medium pears, peeled, cored, and cut into small dice (they should be underripe)
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger (or 1 tsp dried)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 pat butter, cut in small dice
Ingredients for the Ginger Caramel:
- Heavy cream 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (5oz)
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger (or 2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 grounds (1/8 tsp) white pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Large pinch of kosher salt
Directions for the ice cream:
- Over low-medium heat, simmer half and half, vanilla bean and seeds, 1 c. sugar and 2 generous TB cinnamon – turn to lowest setting for flavors to steep.
- Beat egg yolks with ½ a cup of the sugar until pale and thick. Set aside.
- SLOWLY pour about 1-1.5 cup of the heated mixture into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking frequently (your goal is to feel the outside of the bowl get really warm).
- Take tempered egg mixture, add it back to remaining base, remove the vanilla bean.
- Turn heat back up to medium low and stir constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. (if you have a kitchen thermometer, this happens around 178-180 degrees).
- Strain the mixture into a large freezer bag, add the heavy cream, squeeze out the air, squish a few times, and place in an ice bath in the refrigerator until ready to churn. *If you don’t have a vanilla bean, use 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste.
Directions for roasted pears:
- Put pears in a baking dish, sprinkle with sugar, ginger, salt and butter and then pour water over.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until browned on the edges and most liquid has evaporated.
- Let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
Directions for ginger caramel:
- In a small saucepan, simmer the heavy cream with the ginger, pumpkin pie spice and white pepper for about 10 minutes.
- Set aside. In another small heavy saucepan, cook the sugar with the lemon juice over low heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar caramelizes to a light brown color and turns clear, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Being careful to avoid splatters, whisk in the cooled spiced cream into the caramel until incorporated, boil for about 15 seconds, then remove from the heat. (If using fresh ginger, strain the caramel into a bowl and refrigerate until use)
- Churn ½ the mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When ice cream is clinging to the paddles, add in ½ the pears and 3-4 TB of the caramel into the base until mixed. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer container .
- Do the same with the remaining half.
- (When you are ready to serve, warm up any remaining caramel and drizzle on top)
Dr. JJ in the Kitchen - Home & Family
Board certified pediatrician Dr. JJ Levenstein, MD, FAAP Take parenting classes instructed by Dr. Levenstein online by visiting www.momassembly.com. To learn more about parents' concerns with kids go to her Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CallingDoctorJJ . Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.