Ingredients for Ham
- 1 ⅓ cup 100% pure Maple Syrup (Grade A, dark amber)
- 1 cup organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp organic Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ cup + 1 tsp white (mildly flavored) raw organic Honey
- 1 Tabl organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small pinch organic ground Black Pepper
- 1 fully cooked boneless pasture-raised Ham, 5- 6 lb (no nitrates/nitrites) (natural, not smoked)
Ingredients for Carrots
- 2 lb Carrots
- 1 large bulb peeled fresh Garlic Cloves
- ¼ cup Butter, organic and preferably from grass-fed cows, cut into small chunks (When making this on a non-holiday, I use ½ the amount of butter.)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- Water - A good Spring water like Mountain Valley (in glass bottles) gives the best flavor. If spring water is not available, then filtered water.
Directions for Ham
1. Make the Maple Glaze: Combine mustard, honey, olive oil, black pepper, maple syrup and coconut palm sugar. Mix until well blended. (If coconut sugar isn’t available, you can use brown sugar instead.) Refrigerate until use (up to 4 days).
2. At 6 (or more) hours before serving time, score the top of the ham about 1/2 inch deep and 1 inch apart in both directions, so you have a pattern of tiny squares.
3. Place the ham in the slow cooker. Brush 1 cup of the maple glaze over the top and sides of
the ham. Nudge the glaze into the cuts made by the scoring. Set aside the remainder of the
4. Turn on the slow cooker, on Low setting, for 4 hours. At 4 hours check the temperature of
the ham with a meat thermometer. It should have an internal temperature of at least 140F. If
it does not, continue cooking.
5. When the ham has reached an internal temperature of 140F, turn the slow cooker to “Keep Warm” and leave the ham in the slow cooker until 40 minutes before serving time.
40 minutes before serving
1. Heat oven to 450F.
2. Transfer ham from slow cooker to a roasting dish/pan. Brush the remainder of the maple
glaze over the top of the ham, again nudging into the cuts made by scoring.
3. Place the ham, uncovered, in the fully heated 450F oven for 15 minutes. After 10 minutes I
suggest you check it every minute or two… You want the glaze to be beautifully deeply
caramelized and lusciously bubbly; and there’s a fine line between deeply caramelized and
4. Remove your ham from the oven. Allow it to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Then enjoy watching your guests, even the ones who say they don’t really care for ham,
watch them eat this up. Leftovers are indeed a rarity with this recipe!
Directions for Carrots
1. Scrub carrots well, trim off at both ends, leave peel on. Cut each carrot into quarters lenghwise, then cut in half cross-wise. If any of the carrots are extra big or oddly shaped, adjust how you cut them so all carrot pieces are roughly the same size so they’ll cook at about the same rate.
2. Place carrots in a large saucepan along with the garlic, butter and pepper. Pour in just enough water to barely cover the carrots.
3. Cover pan and cook over medium heat until carrots are tender.
4. Remove cover and boil over high heat until water has boiled down to a glaze. (about 5 minutes.) Watch closely and stir so it doesn’t burn.
Serves 6 - 8