Ingredients for Bolognese Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups onion, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground bison
- 3 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 27-oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Ingredients for Braised Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpeas
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. date syrup
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 6 round lemon slices, 1/4-inch thick
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Directions for Slow Cooker Bolognese
1. Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
2. Use a potato masher to break up the meat.
3. Cover and set the cook time for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
4. Remove bay leaves before serving.
5. Serve over your favorite rice, pasta or vegetable.
Directions for Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpeas
1. Add olive oil, chicken stock, sherry vinegar, date syrup, prunes, bay leaves, oregano, garlic, olives, capers, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
2. Stir to combine.
3. Add the lemon slices and chicken.
4. Make a slurry with the water and cornstarch.
5. Stir into the cooking liquid.
6. Cover and cook on low setting for 4 hours or on high for 3 hours. 30 minutes before the end of the cook time, stir in the chickpeas.
7. Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken over rice or your favorite pasta, starch, etc.