Debbie Matenopoulos and Cameron Mathison are showing you how to make bolognese sauce and Mediterranean braised chicken and chickpeas with a slow cooker.
Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
For Bolognese Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups onion, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground bison
- 3 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 27-oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
For Braised Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpeas
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. date syrup
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 6 round lemon slices, 1/4-inch thick
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Slow Cooker Bolognese
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Use a potato masher to break up the meat.
- Cover and set the cook time for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve over your favorite rice, pasta or vegetable.
Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpeas
- Add olive oil, chicken stock, sherry vinegar, date syrup, prunes, bay leaves, oregano, garlic, olives, capers, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the lemon slices and chicken.
- Make a slurry with the water and cornstarch.
- Stir into the cooking liquid.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4 hours or on high for 3 hours. 30 minutes before the end of the cook time, stir in the chickpeas.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve the chicken over rice or your favorite pasta, starch, etc.