Leah Itsines creator of the BARE Guide is making a healthier version of chicken gyros.
Healthy Chicken Gyros
- 150g chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Squeeze of Lemon
- 1 wholemeal pita bread
- 2 tablespoons tzatziki
- 1 small tomato, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Salt and pepper, to taste Olive oil spray
Ingredients for Tzatziki
- 500g natural Greek yogurt
- 1 medium cucumbers, finely grated
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
TIP: For a vegetarian option, use canned chickpeas with the same seasoning. Roast these in the oven for 15 minutes on 180C/350F.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken, oregano, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium– high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly golden and cooked through.
- Spray pita with olive oil. Heat another non-stick pan over a medium–high heat and add pita. Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side or until a light golden color all over.
- Begin to build your gyros! Place the pita on a sheet of foil or grease proof paper and spoon on tzatziki. Add chicken, tomato, onion and lettuce and roll up, enclosing the edges as you go.
- Firstly, you’ll need a bowl, a sieve and a choux cloth.
- Place the sieve on top of the bowl and line it with a choux cloth. Spoon the Greek yoghurt into the sieve and let it sit overnight (or for 1-2 hours) in the fridge to draw out any excess water. This helps the consistency become creamy!
- Grate the cucumber into another choux cloth and squeeze out any excess water.
- Add the strained yoghurt into a large mixing bowl with the cucumber, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Taste and season accordingly (might need more salt, depending on your liking!