- 150g chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Squeeze of Lemon
- 1 wholemeal pita bread
- 2 tablespoons tzatziki
- 1 small tomato, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Salt and pepper, to taste Olive oil spray
Ingredients for Tzatziki
- 500g natural Greek yogurt
- 1 medium cucumbers, finely grated
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
TIP: For a vegetarian option, use canned chickpeas with the same seasoning. Roast these in the oven for 15 minutes on 180C/350F.
1. In a small bowl, combine chicken, oregano, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium– high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly golden and cooked through.
3. Spray pita with olive oil. Heat another non-stick pan over a medium–high heat and add pita. Cook for 1–2 minutes on each side or until a light golden color all over.
4. Begin to build your gyros! Place the pita on a sheet of foil or grease proof paper and spoon on tzatziki. Add chicken, tomato, onion and lettuce and roll up, enclosing the edges as you go.
INSTRUCTIONS for Tzatziki:
1. Firstly, you’ll need a bowl, a sieve and a choux cloth.
2. Place the sieve on top of the bowl and line it with a choux cloth. Spoon the Greek yoghurt into the sieve and let it sit overnight (or for 1-2 hours) in the fridge to draw out any excess water. This helps the consistency become creamy!
3. Grate the cucumber into another choux cloth and squeeze out any excess water.
4. Add the strained yoghurt into a large mixing bowl with the cucumber, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. Taste and season accordingly (might need more salt, depending on your liking!