- 1 (32 oz) bag frozen diced or shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
- 1 (16 oz) pkg ground pork sausage, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans, petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ C heavy cream
- Garnish: Chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Stir together the hash browns, 1 ½ cups cheese, onion, salt pepper, eggs and sour cream.
3. Cook the sausage in a large skillet 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon, reserving the drippings in the pan. Add the flour to the pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes with juice and cook 5 minutes or until thickened. Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.
4. In a large bowl, stir the sausage into the hash brown mixture, and transfer to a lightly greased 13x9 in baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 C cheese. Bake until just set and golden brown, 30 minutes.
5. Spoon the casserole onto serving plates. Top with the warm tomato gravy and a sprinkling of chives, if desired.