The perfect vegetarian salad from Katie Lee.
Grilled Zucchini, Black Bean and Avocado Salad
Vegetarian, Salad, Side Dish
- 1 medium zucchini (about 10 ounces/280g), sliced lengthwise into slabs ½ inch (12 mm) thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large ear of sweet corn, husked
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 (15 ounce/425-g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Brush the zucchini slices lightly with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill the slices, turning once, until charred but not mushy, about 2 minutes per side. Grill the corn, turning frequently, until cooked through and the kernels are charred, about 10 minutes. Grill the scallions whole, turning them frequently, until charred and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Cut the zucchini into ½ inch (12 mm) pieces and put them in a serving bowl. Slice the kernels from the corn and add them to the zucchini; chop the scallions and add them also. Add the beans and avocado to the bowl and toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon and lime juices, the mustard, honey and oregano together. While whisking constantly, add 2 tablespoons oil in a slow stream; whisk until thick and emulsified/ Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste and pour it over the vegetables. Toss well to coat, taste, and season with more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately.