Ingredients for Shrimp and Peri Peri Sauce
- Shrimp (jumbo) – 2 lbs
- 3-6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 each – lemon, juice
- 1/2 tablespoon - paprika
- 3-5 - Bird’s Eye Chili (Thai Chili)
- 1/4 cup - red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup - blended oil
- 1/2 bunch - Cilantro stems
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon - fresh oregano
Ingredients for Jollof Rice
- 11/4 cup - Basmati rice
- 1 ounce - vegetable oil
- 2 heaping tbsp - tomato paste
- 2 red onions, rough chopped
- 3 each – tomatoes, rough chopped
- 3 each – red pepper
- 2 each - garlic cloves
- 1/2 piece 1″ piece of ginger, peeled
- 1/2 tbsp or less – HOT cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp – curry powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- As needed: Chicken or Beef Stock
- Salt to taste
DIRECTIONS FOR SHRIMP WITH PERI PERI SAUCE:
Add in all ingredients except oil in blender. Slowly add in oil to blender on medium speed and emulsify the sauce.
Clean shrimp by removing the back vein. Marinade shrimp in peri-peri sauce for 1-4 hours. On a grill on cast iron pan set to medium high, sear shrimp for 2-3 minutes on both sides.
Once shrimp is grilled, arrange on a serving tray. Spoon peri-peri sauce and garnish with cilantro.
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE:
1. In a blender, process red onion, tomato, pepper garlic, ginger and spices. Until smooth.
2. In a non-stick frying pan heat, the vegetable oil then add in tomato paste. Lower heat to a medium high then add in tomato mixture. Cook down, whisking occasionally for about 30-40 minutes. (You’re looking to cook the raw flavors out). Season with salt.
3. Wash rice thoroughly to remove any excess starch. Add rice to tomato mixture making to mix well enough to coat every rice grain. Add enough stock to cover rice and cook covered on medium-low heat until for 3 minutes. Place in oven at 350F for about 20 to 30 minutes.