- 1 seedless English cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 to 5 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, plus more to taste
- ¼ pound brine-packed Greek feta, drained and sliced lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon cut into wedges, to serve with salad
- Sea salt (optional)
Courtesy of “It’s All Greek to Me” by Debbie Matenopoulos
1. Toss the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and olives together in a large salad bowl and top with slices of feta.
2. Crush the oregano in your hand to release its fragrant essential oils, then sprinkle over the salad along with capers (if using).
3. Drizzle the lemon juice over the salad, then the olive oil. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes or serve immediately with some lemon wedges alongside for added zest. The feta is quite salty, which usually eliminates the need for added salt.
4. Give the salad a taste before serving and sprinkle a pinch of salt over the tomatoes and cucumbers, if desired.