- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons Epsom salts
- 2tbps ground ginger
- 20 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 to 6 teaspoons liquid, such as water or tea (I used strong white tea)
- a few drops essential oils, optional
- food coloring, optional (I used all-natural colors)
1) In a large bowl, combine the baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch and salts.
2) With a whisk or dough cutter, work the coconut oil into the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles sandy with some larger chunks of oil.
3) Working with 1 teaspoon add the liquid to the dry ingredients, stirring it in immediately with a large spoon.
4) The mixture will foam slightly with each addition, this is normal.
5) Add the liquid until your mixture resembles slightly damp sand. *Be sure to add just a little bit of the wet ingredients at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. If you add too much, these will begin fizzing and continue to do so. It should still be primarily dry, but when you squeeze a handful together, it should stick in a lump.
6) Add your essential oil and yellow food coloring
7) Once the mixture is ready, press it firmly and tightly into each mold. You do not need to prepare the molds in any way.
8) Allow to dry for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
9) Remove from the molds and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Check out more DIY projects and recipes at the Home & Family PInterest Page