- 1 lb. chopped beef heart
- 1/2 lb. chopped beef suet
- 3/4 lb. sugar
- 1/2 quart cider
- 1 lb. raisins
- 3/4 lb. currants
- - 1/3 lb. chopped dried figs
- 1/8 lb. dried, chopped candied orange peel
- 1/8 lb. dried, chopped, candied lemon peel
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon mace
- 3/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 whole nutmeg, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered coriander seed
- 2 cans Red Tart Cherries in Water/Juice
- 1/2 lb. Chopped Walnuts
- 5 tablespoons Brandy
1. Simmer these ingredients about 2 hours over low heat, using a diffuser between the flame and the stockpot if the mixture looks like it’s scorching on the bottom. Stir frequently.
2. When fully cooked, remove from the heat and stir in brandy.
3. Pour into jars while hot, allow to come to room temperature before screwing on lid.
4. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use as pie filling.
To Make Pies
Your favorite pie crust (homemade or store-bought).
Pour filling into prepared pie crust and top with lattice or full second crust. Brush with egg wash, bake at 375 until dough is golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
Stuff into handpie crusts, making little turnovers. Brush with egg wash and bake at 375˚ until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.