- Coconut oil or butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup creamy, unsweetened, unsalted almond butter, raw or roasted, or sunflower butter for a nut-free cake
- ⅓ cup pure Grade A maple syrup or raw honey
- ¼ cup raw cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of shredded zucchini, about 2 small
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9-inch pan. If you want to remove the cake from the pan in one piece, line it with unbleached parchment paper as well.
2. In a large bowl combine the almond butter, maple syrup, cocoa powder, salt, coffee powder, egg, vanilla, and baking soda until smooth.
3. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake until just set and a toothpick comes out clean or with dry crumbs. Do not overbake. A 9 x 9 pan will take 35-45 minutes. An 8 x 8 pan will take 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Notes: You can also add ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.
Get more information about this episode >>