Creator of "Homemade Delish," Roberta Pipito is making a delicious spring dish with a basil pesto.
Ingredients for Gnocchi
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 4 large), scrubbed
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
Ingredients for Basil Pesto
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Vegetables with Sauce
- 8 cups water
- Homemade Gnocchi
- 1/4 lb fresh Snap Peas (loosely chopped)
- 1/4 lb fresh Asparagus (shaved with vegetable peeler and loosely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Evoo
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Zest of 1/2 lemon, for garnish optional
Gnocchi with Spring Vegetables - Home & Family
- Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water over medium-high heat until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 45 minutes; drain. As soon as potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and pass through a potato ricer into a large bowl (if left to cool before ricing, potatoes will become gummy). Let cool
- Sprinkle 1¼ cups flour and 1-2 tsp salt over potatoes. Make a well in the center. Pour egg into the well and stir in with a wooden spoon or fork.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and gently knead, dusting with more flour as needed, until smooth, be careful not to overwork about 2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. Cut into ½" pieces, dust with flour, and arrange in a single layer on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Vegetables with Sauce
- In large pot, bring water to a rolling boil; carefully drop GNOCCHI in and boil until it floats (about 2-3 minutes)
- Meanwhile heat 1 Tbsp BUTTER 1 Tbsp EVOO in skillet over medium heat; add GNOCCHI straight from the pot into the skillet; sauté one side until lightly browned (2-4 min); flip gnocchi to brown the other side (2-4 min); remove and set aside.
- In another skillet on medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp BUTTER and 1 Tbsp EVOO; add SNAP PEAS and ASPARAGUS; sauté until slightly tender, about 3 minutes, tossing as needed.
- Add cooked GNOCCHI sprinkle in SALT and PEPPER; heat until warmed through, tossing as needed.
- To serve, top with PARMESAN CHEESE and LEMON ZEST. Drizzle with Pesto.