- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 lb grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 lb grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Ground pepper
- Grated nutmeg
1. Rub the inside of a cheese fondue pot with the garlic clove and discard.
2. Combine the grated cheeses with the wine and lemon juice in the fondue pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cheeses begin to melt, about 5 minutes.
3. Add pepper and nutmeg as desired and cook, stirring gently, until creamy and smooth, about 10 minutes.
4. Serve with cubed bread - usually a baguette - and it is also yummy with chunks of Granny Smith apples, carrots and cauliflower.