A decadent breakfast that smells like Christmas morning.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons molasses
WHIPPED SOUR CREAM:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ cups fresh cranberries
YIELD: 4-5 Large Belgian Waffles
- Heat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, sour cream, and molasses.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Lumps are ok.
- Pour batter into greased, heated waffle maker and bake according to manufacturer’s instructions.
WHIPPED SOUR CREAM
- Start cream on low speed in stand mixer until thick enough to stop splattering. Add sour cream and vanilla bean seeds, then beat on medium-high until cream reaches soft, tender peaks.
- Combine water, sugar, and berries in small saucepan over low heat. Simmer, stirring frequently, until berries are soft enough to be mashed easily with the back of a spoon. 15-20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through fine mesh sieve. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe by Dan Kohler, 12/04/2019